[Vision2020] Hanson's condescending and smug dismissal......

joekc at adelphia.net joekc at adelphia.net
Tue Feb 28 06:37:13 PST 2006

Hey Tony,

Let me try to respond to your claim. It is one thing to make comments with which others disagree. It is another to be verbally abusive. Freedom of speech does not carry with it the freedom to be cruel. There is nothing intolerant about speaking out against those who take advantage of our liberties by using them as opportunities for sadism.

Fictionalizing the history of American slavery is cruel; making jokes about whether to exile or execute gays and lesbians is cruel. If you were African-American or gay, you would notice the cruelty first hand. Failing to speak out against such hateful speech isn’t a sign or tolerance, Tony. It is a sign of selfishness. I don’t have to wait until Wilson starts being abusive to me before I’ll speak out against him.

--
Joe Campbell

Tony wrote: "My claim, that many who claim to be tolerant are often intolerant of opposing views, was entirely ignored by you, Keely, in favor of an ad hominum cheap-shot."