[Vision2020] Hanson's condescending and smug dismissal......

Melynda Huskey melynda at moscow.com
Mon Feb 27 22:16:42 PST 2006

Dear Tony,

It might be a little easier to engage with what you're writing if we had
some idea what exactly it is you're all worked up about.  You're posting
here, but you seem to be in the middle of a conversation with someone
else, and it's a little confusing.

We've been talking about the possibility of a SuperWalmart in town,
saving the cedar grove on Moscow Mountain, poetry, smart growth, port
security, terrorism, and mine safety (among other things).   If you
wanted to start a conversation about how some apparently tolerant people
really aren't tolerant, something beyond a few untethered and somewhat
insulting assertions might encourage other people to respond.  As it is,
you seem to be randomly flinging accusations.  Seriously, have any of us
subscribers recently issued a command to respect diversity?  (Answer:
No.)   Has anyone refused to share V2020 with you?  (Answer:  No.)  Is
it intolerant to object to a stranger's rudeness on a listserv?
(Answer: No.)  So what exactly is  the problem?

Please, DARE to disagree with the prevailing wisdom--just find the
prevailing wisdom first, and tell us what it is.  Maybe you like the
idea of the UAE managing east coast ports?  You hate poetry?  You'd like
the cedar grove cut down?  You love/hate/don't care at all about
Walmart?  Maybe you think Chuck Norris is a big girl's blouse (be
careful with this one)?

I've been dreading the consequences of the Trib piece for this very
reason--because Dave Johnson chose to focus on the contentious aspects
of V2020, we're bound to get new subscribers who are confused about what
actually happens here.  Dagnab it.

Melynda Huskey