[Vision2020] Logos School

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Mon Feb 27 21:16:33 PST 2006

Visionaries:

Michael Metzler was very fair regarding his comments on Tom  Garfield and
Logos School.  Unfortunately, he is too generous. Tom  Garfield does not deserve
Michael Metzler's kindness.   When Ms.  Lund and I challenged the right of
Logos School to continue to receive  property tax exemption we learned a great
deal about Logos  operations. (Vision 2020 has endured the debate about whom is
and who is  not "qualified" to attend Logos School in the not to distant past.
 Suffice  it to say that I stand by my previous statements of disgust for
their  discriminatory policies and practices toward staff and  students.)

 For many years Logos has rented school space to commercial businesses  while
enjoying  property tax exempt status.  Further, during the  local Board of
Equalization hearing last summer, when I asked Mr. Garfield if he  had provided
the BOE with information about the for profit businesses  operating on Logos
School property, he replied that he had not done so  because the County
Commissioners had not asked for the information.  (The  County Commissioners had no
knowledge that Logos was renting space to Moscow  Driving School, for example,
consequently, they could hardly have asked for  copies of rental contracts or
specifics about the lease agreement.)

This is exactly the kind of Kirk Speak that those of us who are familiar
with Wilson World expect.  "Neglecting" to voluntarily tell the whole  truth when
requesting a substantial favor from the citizens of this county -
particularly when the whole truth would disqualify the school from exemption -  is sly
and disingenuous.

Do I think there are some strong arguments to be made in favor of some of
the Logos curriculum?  Yes, I do.  However, as long as the school  is operated
and administrated as yet another thinly disguised business  opportunity and
employment agency for the Kirk, it will never pass the smell  test.   If people
are looking for a private Christian school for their  children I urge them to
consider St. Mary's (Catholic) School,  or Palouse  Hills Adventist School as
alternatives to Logos.

Rose  Huskey

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight  you, then
you win." Mahatma Gandhi