[Vision2020] Fighting Wal-Mart is Satisfying

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Feb 27 16:01:10 PST 2006

>From today's (February 27, 2006) Daily News with a special thanks to Nils
Peterson.

Fighting Wal-Mart is Satisfying

Thank you, Steve McClure, for gracing Omie Drawhorn's story about the Feb.
22 Moscow Planning and Zoning Commission hearing with the "Yes Moscow/No
SuperWal-Mart" button.

Thanks to Jerry Schutz for pointing out that the hearing was not about one
retailer; it was about the direction for Moscow.  When I got home from that
meeting, I found a letter sent to my wife from her Camp Fire leader of 35
years ago.  She reported having a Yes/No bumper sticker and enclosed $50 to
help the cause.  Thank you.  And to other anonymous donors who have walked
up and handed me money because we'll need it.  Thank you.

I should have known fighting Wal-Mart would be satisfying.  It's the "Yes
Moscow" part that reframes challenge into building our community.

I'm a timber framer.  I so barn raisings for the joy when a community comes
out and works together, doing something none could do alone.

The morning after the P&Z meeting, I realized I'd witnessed a raising of
another form.  Thanks to the 100-plus people Drawhorn describes, and quotes,
who came out and built an argument against the rezone.

Thank you to the former council and to Mayor Comstock who set in motion the
NewCities process that gives data to support the argument that we want
another approach to planning and zoning.  And to all who worked on the
"big-box" ordinance, thanks. (May it soon be amended with a size cap.)
Thank you to the 1,000 people who have signed the petition asking the City
Council to change the comprehensive plan map back from motor business.  The
No Super Wal-Mart is moving from defense to the offense.  Now it is our turn
to advocate a positive vision for Moscow's future.  March 22 is your date to
come before the P&Z and say, "Yes, Moscow."

Nils Peterson
Moscow

Thank you, Nils.  Very well stated.

Take care, Moscow.