[Vision2020] Lies, Ports, and Saudi Arabia Yet Again!

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 26 15:46:50 PST 2006

Ted

If you get a chance go back into the Terminal opeators lockout of the
Longshoreman.  With all the just in time systems that we have insisted upon,
the capacity for both storage and for loading and unloading has become a
huge problem.  Back in 2002, a single days lock out cost shippers a billion
dollars a day for the Port of Los Angeles alone and it was estimated at the
time that if US ports shut down for just 6 weeks, all US industry would have
to close its doors for lack of raw materials.

We have just about sold off the US Strategic Stockpile for metals and
minerals and out own mines and forests do not provide what it takes to make
what we do make here in the US.  There are no US companies that can even
think of bidding as Terminal Operations groups for most of the Ports,
becasue they do not have the equipment and expertise to manage those
facilities.

What happens on the Palouse if we can not get our Ag products to market?

Phil Nisbet