[Vision2020] Lies, Ports, and Studity

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Sun Feb 26 09:56:46 PST 2006

Pat writes:

"So, what about the idea that the Chinese run three quarters of the berths
in LA and the German and Singapore companies that run Seattle's ports??
Why not them??"

Indeed, why not? Let's scrutinize all private firms managing US ports,
with special attention to those that might be used as a conduit for
shipping a container full of uninspected nasties into a major American
city.

"I have this feeling it is mostly a misunderstanding about the UAE. I
understand from those on CSPAN that after 9/11 they have really been
working to be on our side."

Then you haven't been watching the same C-SPAN that I have. It would
appear that none of the 9/11 commission members were contacted before this
deal was approved. If any of them had been, then perhaps they would have
reported that the UAE continues to present a stumbling block. To wit:

'According to the 9/11 Commission, there is a persistent counterterrorism
problem represented by the UAE. Just raise your hand if anybody talked to
the 9/11 commissioners? Anybody talk to them? No? Ok.' -- Senator Carl
Levin, (D) Michigan

The Dubai ports company in question is UAE state-owned, and the UAE
represents a 'persistent counterterrorism problem.' For me, that
represents a significant port management problem. We are talking about the
ports of New York, Newark, New Orleans, Miami, Balitimore and
Philadelphia.  Major population centers, all. And I learned yesterday that
the 4% container contents verification rate is an exaggeration; the figure
is something more akin to 2%. Do we have reasons beyond xenophobia or
perceived anti-Arab sentiment to be concerned about this deal? Yes. It's
been nearly 4 1/2 years since the 9/11 attacks and our ports are not
secure; FEMA has demonstrated its total incompetence in the face of a
predicatable disaster, i.e., the collapse of the New Orleans levy system;
and we're now in the process of transferring the management of six East
Coast ports to a UAE state-owned firm when the UAE remains a "persistent
problem" in U. S. counterterrorism efforts.

I've been chatting with port management types in Portland and Lewiston, as
I've become very interested in how we manage here on the West Coast.  (I'm
working on a story about it for New West.) What have I learned? That
Lewiston's port is managed by a three-member elected commission, i.e.,
local government, an that the Port of Portland is managed by a commission
appointed by the sitting governor, i.e, the state government. Perhaps, as
my father-in-law has suggested, there are some things that are better
managed by duly-elected and/or representative government. The Centers for
Disease Control? Public health? Our transportation system? U. S. Ports?

On the other hand, I might be in favor of outsourcing the Armed Forces.
Any bidders? England? Australia? (No, France. Put your hand down. You,
too, Germany.)

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com