[Vision2020] Reader's Opinion - Stable marriages, even gay ones, are what society needs

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 25 07:44:35 PST 2006

Tim

While I agree that uniform marriage code is needed for the sake of a just
society, I did have a queation.

Why is it that you think that a stance taken here is a 'progressive one?
Did you consider that one heck of a lot of libertarian folks who are on the
economic right are more likely to support uniform marriage law than many on
the economic left?

Take the example of Blacks.  The majority view of our African American
community is decidedly 'progressive' and tends to vote that way as a block,
but the same group is decidedly against gay marriage by much wider margins
than is common in the GOP.

Instead of framing this as a progressive battle plan, have you considered
that if it is framed as a matter of individual rather than societal rights,
a more economic conservative/libertarian stance, there is a far better
chance that full civil rights will be extended?

Phil Nisbet