[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter 7 -- Feb 20-24, 2006

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Fri Feb 24 17:58:01 PST 2006

              LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER 7--February 20-24/2006

  We voted on over 100 bills in the House this week.   The Senate has been
moving at a slower pace.   There are predictions that we might finish up
our work by March 25th.

Here are some of the events of the week.

 1.  Moscow Mountain Cedar Park --  Commissioner Paul Kimmell indicated
that Winston Wiggins, Director of State Lands, will be sending him a
written letter outlining the base framework of an agreement to preserve the
cedar grove.  Both state and local stakeholders will work together in
developing a specific plan.   An advisory committee will also be formed.
It looks like progress has indeed be achieved thanks to all of the local
support and the work of our commissioners.

 2.  HB681  -- Rep. Margaret Henbest introduced the bill in House
Education.  The bill would have encouraged school districts to utilize more
healthy foods in vending machines, i.e. low fat milk, 100% fruit juices,
and other healthy choices.  Currently, most vending machines in schools
supply drinks and foods loaded with fat, sodium, and non-nutritious
ingredients.   The bill was defeated on a 12-5 vote (I supported the bill).
  Many school districts are currently working to improve healthy choices,
and the committee encouraged Representative Henbest to come back with a
resolution encouraging districts to speed up the process.

 3.  University Scholarships  --  several Idaho legislators and I are
sponsoring university scholarship and loan bills this session.

      a) SB1382  --  this is a merit based scholarship based for
individuals seeking degrees in mathematics, science, and engineering who
commit to remain in Idaho for two years after obtaining a post secondary
degree from an Idaho institution.

      b) HB702  --   the intent of this bill is to create a needs based
Idaho Opportunity Scholarship Program .  It is requesting a one time
appropriation of $10,000,000 to create a dedicated endowment fund.  We are
losing many promising students from low income families with the rising
cost of higher education.  Many students leave college with over $20,000 in
debt.

       c) HB703  --  the intent of this bill is to create a needs based
Idaho Opportunity Loan Program.  This would be set up with a $5,000,000 one
time appropriation.

       d) HB704  --  the intent of this bill is to set up a needs based
Idaho Math and Science Loan Program funded through a $5,000,000 one time
appropriation.  Graduates funded under this program would be committed to
teach in Idaho schools in order to pay off their loans.

 4.   HB690 and HB691  --  these two bills were introduced as alternative
means to try and resolve the 14 year old School Facilities Law Suit.   I
had some concerns about the constitutionality of HB690 and I've asked for
the Attorney General's Opinion.

 5.    HB516  --  Dog Fighting/Felony  -- I was asking for a felony penalty
for anyone connected with training and participating in dog fighting.
Idaho is only one of two states without the felony penalty.   I could see
that we wouldn't get the bill through committee so we incorporated
committee suggestions to come up with an alternative.  Unfortunately the
changes were not supported by law enforcement so I pulled the bill.
Supporters of the original bill were passionate about it.   One supporter e
mailed me, "Rep. Trail, you are a traitor for watering down the bill.  You
should be drawn and quartered."  All in the day of the life of a legislator.

 6.   HB570  --  this bill was designed to shield unsuccessful job
applicants from embarrassment in the work place.  The bill overreached,
covering all paid and volunteer public jobs including rank and file
employees but high level jobs.  The bill would have thrown a blanket of
secrecy over the hiring of public employees.   Fortunately it was pulled.

 7    Connecting Idaho  --  It is apparent that some legislators want to
scale back on the Governor's Connecting Idaho road project.  The Governor
wants to speed up high way building through the use of GARVEE bonds.  This
way about 30 year of road projects can be done in 10 years.   I support the
Governor's plan.

JFAC will be setting budgets this next week so we will get a broader
picture of financial for various state agencies.

I will be interested to hear your comments and suggestions.  My e-mail is
ttrail at house.idaho.gov and phone 332-1260.

Representative Tom Trail