[Vision2020] A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Brent Bradberry bbradber at moscow.com
Fri Feb 24 12:08:59 PST 2006

    This morning was grand. Mandy and I drove up Tamarack Road to the
parking lot (near the defunct ski area), I strapped on my skis, and we
headed up the road. The first few hundred yards were poor skiing - very
icy. Being an inept duffer, I wiped out twice. (Mandy, my sweetheart,
was sympathetic but unhelpful). But eventually we gained enough altitude
to reach better conditions; a couple of inches of new snow atop several
inches of compact icy stuff. We continued on about 1.5 miles, and then
on the way back we met two radio techs on snowmobiles, on their way to
repair an antenna. They were taking the long way 'round because their
usual road was blocked by numerous deadfalls.
    We have been snow-shoeing or ski walking the roads and trails on the
southeast flank of Moscow Mountain every few days throughout the winter
and today was the first time we have encountered anyone else.
Frequently, the only tracks we see are those we left on a previous
outing. The selfish part of me says "Great! Let's keep this all to
ourselves." But my better nature thinks it's a shame that more people
don't seem to get out and enjoy the natural beauty  in our own back
yard. I know that it's possible to love a natural asset to death, but
Moscow Mountain could stand more loving and use from those who enjoy
quiet, low impact outdoor recreation. And a day like today was too great
to waste on things like work (ugh!). How fortunate I am to be retired!

Regards, Brent Bradberry

P. S. About Mandy. My wife knows and approves. She loves Mandy too.
Mandy is about 15 inches tall at the shoulder, weighs about 40 pounds,
and has beautiful strawberry blond hair (all over). At fifteen, she is
in great shape - I wish I knew her secret. Somehow, she is able to
channel her joie de vivre into a positive feedback loop.
B.B.

--
Brent Bradberry, Ph. D.
Professor of Mathematics, emeritus