[Vision2020] Theocratic Park III

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Mon Feb 20 12:17:34 PST 2006

On 20 Feb 2006, at 08:47, joekc at adelphia.net wrote:

> Donovan,
>
> Why is this post not filled with the same kind of prejudicial
> generalizations and name-calling that you accuse Joan of? At the very
> least, supposing that your accusations about Joan and I and others are
> correct, it is an example of 'two wrongs make a right.'
>
> Let's all try to tone down the rhetoric. I'm going to try and I ask
> you to do the same. But when I read comments like this my natural
> self-defense mechanisms kick in.
>
> Best,
> Joe Campbell

Not to worry, Joe.  I never let Donovan bother me.  A Catholic who
doesn't understand that very heart of Catholic doctrine requires
placing a priest between the layman and God?  Who is the Pope if not
God's representative on earth?  Catholic laymen are not free to make
their own decisions about what to read, what to watch, and what to
believe.  That's the job of the Pope, the College of Cardinals, the
Bishops and the Priests.  Any Catholic who doesn't know (or believe)
that is, well . . . a Protestant.

So Donovan thinks I'm a leftist authoritarian?  As usual, he's
half-right.  At last, I must reveal my scores on the Political Compass.
  I am Economic Left/Right: -7.00, and Social Libertarian/Authoritarian:
-6.21.  Economically, I'm one point to the right of Mahatma Gandhi, and
I'm well to the left of Emma Goldman and Noam Chomsky.  I am not in the
least authoritarian.  In fact, I'm more libertarian than Nelson Mandela
and Thomas Paine.  I can live with that.  I'm not a total anarchist,
but I am, by nature, live-and-let-live.  I want to leave folks to their
own devices; I really do.  But if they will break the law, if they will
behave in cruel and inhumane fashion, if they will hurt others
personally, socially, and economically, then I'm going to whack them
upside the head.  Repeatedly.

My challenge to Donovan is that he take the test.  No doubt he'll find
it biased -- biases are everywhere in Donovan's world.  The sofa is out
to get him.  But it would be interesting to see how he scores.  I
suspect that if he took the test, he'd find himself lurking in the
upper right quadrant, sitting on a used tissue in Margaret Thatcher's
pocketbook.  Then again, if Donovan's understanding of politics is
anything like his understanding of Catholic doctrine, he might find
himself on the Authoritarian Left, perched on the bill of Fidel
Castro's cap.  (Don't be a chicken, Donovan.  Go on.  Go on, go on, go
on, go on!  Take the test: www.politicalcompass.org.  And tell us your
scores.  Otherwise, I shall taunt you a second time.  Buck, buck, buck,
buck, buck . . . )

Okay, on to serious business.  There is one charge in Donovan's rant
that I will answer -- Michael Hayes does not deserve Donovan's false
accusations nor yet his misplaced wrath.  As Michael Metzler has
pointed out, Doug Wilson granted "My Town" his personal seal of
approval; in fact, New St. Andrews asked to be listed as a sponsor at
the film's second Moscow showing.  Doug believes that he was fairly
represented.  On what (since he apparently hasn't watched the film) is
Donovan basing his negative assessment?  The fact that
lefty-LIBERTARIANS like me also like it?  That we think it fairly
represents us as well?  Imagine that.  Michael Hayes did a good job of
letting us all speak for ourselves.  Kind of like Vision 2020 . . .

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com

PS: I can't imagine anything more unseemly or unChristian than laughing
at the genuine trials and travails of others.  You don't know bupkes
about the pains of shunning, Donovan.  You clearly know nothing about
the fear of losing income, about life in a "total institution," or
about the spiritual and economic power of a covenantal church gone bad.
  Sometimes, I think you wake up in the morning, roll the dungeons and
dragons dice, and decide who you're going to hypocritically offend
today.