[Vision2020] A Sunday afternoon stroll through Theocratic ParkIIIor Oh that Dougie he's so mean

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Mon Feb 20 11:34:54 PST 2006

Bill London Writes:

I have been following your postings with interest, since you are a CC
insider with an independent perspective and a willingness to openly
challenge Doug Wilson and the CC leadership.

My questions to you: Given the CC history of "shunning" members who
challenge or disobey Wilson's edicts, why has not this severe form of
discipline been enacted in your case?

Do you believe that Wilson has been forced to hold off such discipline in
your case as a result of his diminishing power?

Me:

I think this is a good question.  By the nature of the case it is hard to
know after the fact how effective my Blog has been at protecting me.  But I
can assure you that part of what motivated my Blog was a gasping for some
kind of solid traction and self protection. A couple years ago, I would not
have admitted the tacit knowledge I had about how opponents are dealt with;
I am even guilty of shunning Duck in my own mind.  And it has been hard
walking into Evan Wilson's house without looking over my shoulder even now.
But once I knew I was the next critic, this tacit knowledge started
operating with force before I had even discursively thought about any sort
of 'change of mind' about the situation-and so I immediately began using my
Blog as a form of self protection. I think my Blog has been a success in
some respects, and if my self defense motivation was on track at all, then
certainly this was a good way to force the elders to deal differently with
me.  And sure enough, at first there was some strong indication that a grand
character assassination story was starting to generate.  But this has
slimmed out to nothing, and one guy is really trying to back step (there are
all sorts of "qualifications and nuances" that need to be understood about
his original statements).  And then notice the strong stance that Wilson and
Jones (writing for the elders) originally had on my own Blog; this has gone
to nothing after a "well at least play according to the golden rule."  And
even the strong requirement to gain multiple witnesses has turned into "hey,
we are willing to hear your argument about whether or not witnesses are
required." Wilson and Jones have emphasized the fact that they don't
'discipline' for the kind of things I'm doing-so while losing one battle, it
seems they are trying to win another: go on record as merciful and tolerant
to very strong criticism.  So I think the justification of my original
motivation and the way the story has played out indicates that things would
have been very different if I did not start a public display of my own story
at CC (viewed by hundreds of people everyday).  There is also something
going on behind the scenes right now that I think is forcing more protection
for me (but which I cannot reveal at this time).

So to answer the last question, I don't think this is necessarily evidence
that Wilson's power has diminished significantly in general.  Most kirkers I
have communicated with are very happy not listening to arguments or evidence
in a thinking way, and are willing to assume that I'm a nut case and getting
ready to "spiritually implode."  And yet, I think we have all noticed
mounting challenges to Wilson from many different fronts over the last few
years, and challenges that have diminished what otherwise would have been a
more thriving and dominant ministry (in terms of money and following).  I
would see Pooh's Think as just the next item of challenge and public
exposure; and it has put me into contact with many people who could function
as sound witnesses if there ever where a judicial hearing about all this.

Hope that helps.

Michael Metzler