[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter 6 -- Feb 13-17, 2006

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Sat Feb 18 08:18:40 PST 2006

                  LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER 6--Feb 13-17/2006

We are clearly reaching the halfway point in the 2006 legislative

session.  We met for three and a half hours today going over a

package of 8 tax bills.   Many comments made include that bills

that go to the Senate side often have strange amendments tacked on

to them by the senators.  There is also talk about holding some

Senate bills hostage in order to get them to pass bills the House

Initiated.   The House has also identified bills from the Governor

that we can hold hostage if he threatens to veto a key House or

Senate bill.    Almost sounds like a bunch of boys playing in the

sandbox.

1.  Taxes  --  HB422 --  Circuit Breaker --  this passed the House on

a 69-0 margin.  The bill would help for people who need help most

with paying their property taxes – low income elderly and handicapped

home owners-who are especially hurt by rising valuations on

residential property. The bill raises the qualifying limit to $28,000.

Maximum relief is $1,320.

HB421.  This bill passed.  It would raise the current homeowners'

exemption from the lesser of 50% of assessed valuation or $50,000,

to the lesser of 50% of $75,000 and index the increase federal cost of

living adjustments in future years.   This will benefit Idaho home

owners (72% own their own homes in the state).  I voted for the bill

although it does represent a shift that impacts businesses and

agriculture.  The impact on agriculture is minimal  --  about

50 cents an acre after 380 acres.

HB678 is the big tax bill.  It would transfer half of the current 3 mills

of local school M & O levying authority to the state general fund at

the cost of about $125 million.  It would cap revenue growth with the

remaining half of the M & O at 3% yearly.  Any excess revenues

would go into a new Public School Income Fund.  On the downside it

would adversely affect the flexibility that school districts have with

the current M & O levying authority.  HB679 would raise the state

sales tax to 5.5% to offset most of the cost of absorbing the 1.5 mills

of local school  M&O levying authority.   Even with the passage of

the bill there would be a gap of $20-30 million in getting sufficient

funding for schools.   Many constituents contacted on both sides of

HB678.    I voted against 678 simply because of the overwhelming

number of communications of constituent concerns about upsetting

the traditional M & O support for school districts.   There were also

concerns about the state guaranteeing to pick up the $125 million

over the long term.  Since HB678 passed I did vote for HB679 since

if it becomes law then we will have to fund it.

2.  Moscow Mountain Cedar Grove  --  The bill to incorporate the

cedar grove into the State Park system and the resolution calling

for protection of the grove have been approved for printing in

Senator. Schroeder's Resources Committee.  Feedback from the

Lands Board at it's February 14th meeting was very positive.

Commissioner Paul Kimmell has been in touch with State Lands

and stakeholders are working on plans for a 25 year lease to protect

the grove.  Our immediate goal is to get this commitment in writing,

and then get all of the stakeholders together to work out details.

3.  Bonus Pay for High School Math and Science Teachers defeated in

the Senate -- a bill to pay high school math and science teachers a

3-4% bonus was defeated in the Senate on a 21-13 vote.

4.  Dog fighting/felony penalty  --  HB516 -- we had a hearing in Ag

Affairs, and the bill was held in committee.   I'm working on it over

the weekend to clarify some of the terms.

5.  Bullying Awareness Week  --  The House Ed Committee passed

my resolution on a 19-0 vote.   September 10-16, 2006 will be

Bullying Awareness Week in the public schools in Idaho if the

resolution passes.  Bullying is one of the leading causes of teenage

suicide.  Over 4,000 teenagers commit suicide each year and of these

86% are male.

6.  Civic Education Summit  --  HCR33 calls for the Secretary of State

and the Superintendent of Public Instruction to convene a statewide

conference on civic education in our public schools.   The House

Education Committee passed my resolution on a 19-0 margin.

7.  School Facilities Lawsuit  --  Two legislative proposals are being

advanced which could help resolve the 13 year long lawsuit.  The

Idaho Supreme Court ordered lawmakers to do more to pay for school

construction.  Republican legislators are proposing a $25-$35 million

proposal for school construction and creating multimillion dollar

accounts for ongoing maintenance and building.  Monies would come

from the state surplus with additional monies of about $9 million/year

to aid with school repair and bond levies in the poorer district.   The

Democrats also have a similar proposal with more money attached to

it.   The bills will be presented to the House Education Committee this

coming Thursday.

Please send me your comments, recommendations, and suggestions.

e mail  ttrail at moscow.com

Representative Tom Trail