[Vision2020] Comment Period for Stateline Development ExpiresThursday

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 15 23:46:56 PST 2006

Mark

If you recall the information from the Santa Fe people at the Water
Conference, they have a lot of ordinances in place to reduce water
consumption in public spaces like malls that Whitman County simply does not
possess.  I looked at Minnesota malls and their water use patterns and they
use a lot more water and with combined landscaping water use, you could be
looking at 200 acre feet total.

There are numerous wells on the Idaho side of the border, including ones
that are important as monitoring wells for determining water flows for the
region.  Which ever of the shallow, Wanapum, Vantage Sediment or Grande
Ronde aquifers they draw from, they will have definite impact on the system
in the Moscow Sub-Basin.  No case can be made that their water use will have
no impact and for all the talk of them purchasing water rights, which is a
Washington thing, so they would be buying something in Washington, any water
right they buy would not be in the Moscow Sub-Basin.  It impacts Moscow and
not Pullman, allowing them to retire some of the use in their Sub-Basin at
our expense.  And under Washington law we have absolutely nothing we can say
about it.

And that particular group of stores is just the start of the building along
the corridor, so we can expect more of the same.  It’s far more impactive
than any of the other uses that sparked such huge firestorms.

Phil Nisbet