[Vision2020] New hunting protocols

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Wed Feb 15 13:02:56 PST 2006

On 15 Feb 2006, at 08:55, Art Deco wrote:

"What this incident has done is to correctly focus the light on the
essential character of the Vice President:

1.    He was hunting without the proper license.
2.    He was road hunting.
3.    He shot without being sure of his target or where his projectiles
would go, hit or miss.
4.    He shot a person wearing hunter orange.
5.    Despite 1 - 4, he blamed the victim for the infliction of serious
possibly fatal harm.
6.    He arranged that no report of the incident was made for almost a
day.

In my possibly twisted opinion, the above says to me that Vice
President Cheney is a person with a reckless disregard for human
safety, health, welfare, and life, a person who takes no responsibility
for his own errant actions, and a person who tries to conceal the truth
from the public.  In short, with these qualities, a perfect person to
lead this country should something happen to the current president."

I could not agree more.  I am an avid hunter and sportswoman.  Two
years ago, I chose not to take a shot at a genuine Boone & Crockett
(what in the West would be called a five-point, but in the East is
called a ten) because I couldn't see beyond the ridge that he was
standing upon.  I had a bad case of buck fever, and, by God, I really,
really wanted that buck, but I know how far a 180-grain .30-06 bullet
might travel should it miss the target or even should it hit the target
and pass on through.  You don't fire without looking.  You don't fire
unless you're sure of your target.  You don't "truck hunt."  You don't
blame the victim.

This story is relevant for all of the reasons above plus a little
something else -- do you recall a year or so ago when the Vice
President went duck hunting with Justice Antonin Scalia while Cheney
was party to a case pending before the Supreme Court?  The man needs to
lay off the birds.  When it comes to hunting (not to mention the law),
Dick Cheney doesn't know if it's asshole or breakfast time.

Joan Opyr
Northern Idaho Editor
New West Magazine
www.newwest.net