[Vision2020] American West Bank on the move

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Mon Feb 13 09:47:20 PST 2006

Mr. Ivie,

Actually, the Latah Bank was a "true local bank",
but as you point out, in these days they just
can't compete with the "full service" regionals,
nationals and international bank systems.  We had
our share of "local" banks - they are all gone -
except say the Latah Federal Credit Union

The banking business is a direct parallel to
stores that sell basic consumer commodities -
they just can't compete with the larger
institutions - the volume purchasing and squeezed
margins preclude the survival of the small
guy.  But for consumers, of course, that is good
news - it usually means more choice at lower
cost.  Just so we are on the same page, cash is
one of the simpler commodity products - much
simpler than tooth paste, shampoo and dog
food.  And the basic transactions are even
simpler - the bank borrows at one rate and lends at a higher rate.

You do raise an interesting point about one bank
putting another bank out of business - if you
know banking history, then you know that banks
were predatory competitors before Andrew Jackson
intervened.  The central banking system and the
mandatory reserve system were developed to make
the capital system a bit more stable.

As to banks expanding, I submit that banks do
indeed enter a market area, and if successful
will invest in new and larger buildings.  Just
visit a healthy urban area and look.  That said,
cyberbanking is reducing the need for large scale
infrastructure (bricks and mortar)
banks.  Furthermore, our local economy is not
robust and banks are not going to invest large
amounts of capital in localities that do not have
healthy local economies.  My hunch is that when
bankers get wind of an "anti-business" climate,
they will reduce their investments in that area accordingly.

The growth model in today's banking world seems
more focused on providing convenient access for
customers to banking services.  The "vending
machine" for a bank is rather simple - take money
in, put money out.  Growth is manifested by
adding a branch in a mall, adding an ATM machine
in a college eating area or a strip center and
expanding hours of drive in banking.

I find your comments about businesses opening and
closing curious.  Businesses come and businesses
go.  We have had large box retailers come and
go.  The buildings have not remained empty for very long.

As to your personal financial situation, I don't
know you or your financial standing, so it is not
reasonable to ask me to advise you on where to
"invest for the best return" (your words - find
predatory pricing), but start with your credit
score - that can provide you with an
understanding of how much leverage the market
will provide you.  Then use the online
information services to determine the market
return for various investment vehicles. The
choices today are stunning (thanks mostly to the
removal of restrictions on banks) and the
relatively unfettered movement of investment
capital across international borders is reducing
some of the uncertainty in capital markets.