[Vision2020] Banker Deserves Praise/Let Her Speak

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Feb 12 11:47:30 PST 2006

>From today's (February 12, 2006) Lewiston Tribune with a very special thanks
to Kit Craine and Keely Emerine Mix.

Banker deserves praise

This is in response to Larry Cernik's Feb. 2 letter to the editor.

When it comes to the proposed Wal-Mart Supercenter in Moscow, AmericanWest
Bank has two dogs in the fight.

One: AmericanWest provides financial support to many small, locally owned
businesses. If these businesses go under, as has happened in many towns
after a super center arrives, the bank will be effected.

Two: Wal-Mart is currently seeking permission in other states to incorporate
financial services into their stores. If that happens, the community may
lose smaller banks such as AmericanWest.

Given the potential impacts of a super center on AmericanWest Bank and its
customers, taking a stance on the issue is the type of responsible action I
would expect from a branch manager.

I opened an account at AmericanWest specifically because B. J. Swanson is in
charge of the Moscow branch. For years, she has been an open, honest and
sensible advocate for the economic health of her entire community.

I hope the head office appreciates her work as much as I (and many others in
this community) do.

Kit Craine
Moscow

-------------------------

Let her speak

Recent letters from members of one local church express the writers'
interest in zoning and big-box development in Moscow by maligning the
motives and reputation of one local banker because of her views on the same
subject.

The argument that a large banking network is somehow compromised by public
comments from one of its officers is more than a little disingenuous.

I doubt that Christ Church elders are intent on exchanging Gospel preaching
for urban planning because of three or four members' earnest letters to the
editor, and I don't deny the individuals' right to weigh in.

Instead, I simply assume that several church members are vocal in their
support of a Wal-Mart Supercenter and vociferous in their opposition to
those of us who believe it's a bad idea for Moscow, both economically and
socially.

Their arguments, regardless of my own views, are their own -- certainly not
part of a statement of faith and doctrine from their church.

In the same way, whether I agree with AmericanWest Moscow branch Vice
President B.J. Swanson or not, I am able to separate one woman's informed,
clear and gracious comments on the issue from the entirety of AmericanWest,
and I am not in the least offended that she's spoken out on the issue.

On the contrary, I'm grateful. Swanson has exercised her right as an
informed citizen to educate her neighbors on what she believes is a threat
to our economy. ...

Keely Emerine Mix
Moscow

Whether Moscow accepts or declines the construction of a Wal-Mart super
center, that decision should (and must) be based upon open, mature,
responsible debate and not as the resultant cannon fodder of an immature,
unethical smear campaign.

My adopted home town deserves better than that.

Take care, Moscow.

"A bad cause will ever be supported by bad means and bad men."

- Thomas Paine (English Writer, 1737-1809)