[Vision2020] For Sale: 26,000 Idaho Acres

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 11 14:30:26 PST 2006

Why should the Federal Government and the USDA Forest Service in particular
pay large sums of money on an annual basis to run a park for the Rich in
Hayden Lake?  Perhaps, the rich who enjoy their hiking trails on the point
should consider getting together, putting up the funds and buying the ground
so that they can have their park.  It would reduce the costs substantial if
that were the case, since USDA now has to have people go to an isolated
piece of ground and manage a park that is dominantly used not by the general
public, but by Hayden Lake residents.  If Hayden Lake ran the park, their
city employees would be obviously more able to manage the ground cost
effectively.

There are stranded chunks of Federal ownership all over the place that are
small blocks that are difficult if not impossible to manage and that are
costly to administer.  The Forest Service and BLM have tried for years to
get rid of those through land exchange, however, the process of Land
Exchange takes ages even when being carried out between cooperative folks
like IDL and USFS.  I know of ground that is still pending though ten years
has passed that would flip lands from USFS to IDL and clear up management
boundaries that are no where near complete.

There is nothing that stops local or state governments from buying the lands
in question.  There is also nothing in this process that stops Land
Conservancy organizations from bidding on the ground either.  Those groups
can dust off their check books and bid to keep the lands in question public.
  That will help to free up Forest Service funds to be spent on managing the
millions of acres that are not scattered in mixed ownership and will move
the management to local jurisdiction where they can be more cost effectively
taken care of.

Phil Nisbet