[Vision2020] Infiltration by Tom Sperry

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 10 17:12:43 PST 2006

Ron

I am not sure about the other titles you list, but Constitutional Chaos by
Andrew P. Napolitano, is a book defending Civil Liberties.  Did you read his
interview on his book by Reason Magazine?

Reason: How do you feel about Alberto Gonzales as attorney general?

Napolitano: He will be the first attorney general in American history,
publicly, to be in favor of torture. The others may have been in favor of it
privately, but Al Gonzales is in favor of it publicly. This is an untenable
position to take.

Reason: Should they get the death penalty—

Napolitano: I don’t believe that the state has the moral authority to
execute, so I don’t believe in the death penalty.

Reason: Is there any reason to believe the PATRIOT Act has helped keep us
safe from terrorism?

Napolitano: We have not been attacked since 9/11. Who knows why? We wiped
them out of Afghanistan. We inflicted enormous setbacks on them in Iraq. The
government can take all the credit that it wants on the basis of the PATRIOT
Act, but the government cannot point to a single successful prosecution for
terrorist activity where the evidence obtained was under the PATRIOT Act—at
least a successful prosecution that wasn’t overturned eventually. The
PATRIOT Act creates one new independent crime, the crime of speaking. The
rest of the PATRIOT Act does not create substantive crimes. It gives tools,
unconstitutional tools, to law enforcers. They have used those tools, but
they haven’t gotten a single prosecution for terrorist acts on the basis of
it. They’ve gotten five prosecutions having to do with political corruption
and drugs. One of the things that John Ashcroft gave to Congress in return
for no debate was the sunset clause. The other was that the PATRIOT Act
would only be used in the war on terror.

Both of those promises have been violated. We know from newspaper accounts
that the PATRIOT Act was used to gather information on political corruption
in Las Vegas and against drug dealers elsewhere. The Intelligence Reform Act
of ’04 gets rid of one of the sunset clauses.

With those response do you think he is doing Black Helicopters or are those
the opinions of a person who wears tin foil hats?

Phil Nisbet