[Vision2020] Bowing

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 10 10:53:15 PST 2006

Doug Wilson:  "Vocabulary of Obedience: "Put another way, the Bible does not
tell us whether the British or the American military salute is 'more proper'
than the other. But it does require the fact of the salute. Expressions of
honor are common to all human societies, and the Bible requires that we
honor others and maintain such expressions of honor.  TO ALLOW CULTURAL
EXPRESSIONS OF HONOR TO FALL INTO DISUSE AND TO FORGET THEM IS TO LOSE THE
VOCABULARY OF OBEDIENCE.  THEN, WHEN WE FIND OURSELVES NEED TO OBEY, WE HAVE
LOST THE MEANS TO DO SO.  Consequently, we must distinguish between the
position that says (correctly) that expressions of honor may vary and the
position that says there is no such thing as an expression of honor" (The
Paideia of God, pp. 43-44).
Posted by Douglas Wilson - 2/9/2006 8:17:23 AM"

Comment from a follower:

I salute you Pastor Wilson. Bud Blythe - 2/10/2006 7:23:18 AM

So, saluting = honoring and recognizing "the need to obey".

As I recall, in the old days entering and leaving the presence of a
superior, leader, king, etc. used to be done by bowing; this was done quite
frequently and "religiously" during the days of the Bible.  In fact, it is
still done in many areas of the world, including England, today.  It was a
show of respect, submissiveness and subordination.

Therefore, bowing = honoring and recognizing "the need to obey" as well.

When do we start to see CCers bowing/saluting Doug and his fellow elders
(translated as being leaders), in concordance with what Doug calls the means
of showing honor and obediance?

Just asking.

J  :]