[Vision2020] Review of Fox-Genovese book.

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 9 20:21:30 PST 2006

Em, first of all the term "the Greatest Living Historian" is in quotes in
Dale's presenting of the article...so does he accept this tripe as being
legit or what?

Second, the title of the article, "The Mind of the Master Class" is
offensive, to say the least.

Third, "Genovese has doggedly pursued the truth for as long as necessary and
regardless of its ramifications."  Obviously, he has yet to locate the truth
and its ramifications are significant.  He espouses falsehoods, projects his
own views of an era he could not possibly have any first-handed knowledge of
as being that truth, used the manuscripts, letters and papers of this
"master class" as the basis for his theories and enlightenment, decides that
the slave holders were people to be admired and honored ("do not
disguise...our respect for the slaveholders...nor do we disguise our
admiration for much in their character and achievements.") and just plainly
ignores what the truth is/was about slavery - the "owning" of one person by
another thereby making it impossible for the "owned" to live their lives as
they choose, where they choose, with whomever they choose is just wrong,
wrong, wrong.

Fourth, in his "search for the truth" not once did Mr. Genovese even bother
to read the "testimony" or writings or look at the pictures of any slave or
relative of a slave or decendent of a slave.  Those truths are ignored by
Genovese and his ilk in order to ram their take on things down the throats
of people who blindly follow (sound familiar?) anything.

Ever see the results of slaves who tried to choose where they were to live,
not to be slaves, or who wanted a better life for their children? Or the
results of the "master class" deciding being black is just plain wrong?
Hands, feet, legs, families, lives got cut off so this "master class" could
continue in the lifestyle THEY wanted; THIS is what was "the admirable
(that) grew out of the loathsome"?

What's next?  Calling the concentration camps of Germany "country clubs for
the Jews"?

J  :]