[Vision2020] Vandals to meet with Erickson

Area Man areaman at moscow.com
Wed Feb 8 07:29:13 PST 2006

Vandals to meet with Erickson; Interview reportedly on tap today; Spear
says offer will likely be made

By MATT BANEY OF THE TRIBUNE

With rumors about his return to the Palouse circulating throughout the
region, Dennis Erickson will reportedly interview for the Idaho football
team's vacant head coach position today in Moscow.

And if he wants the job, it's probably his for the taking.

According to a story in today's Spokesman-Review, UI athletic director
Rob Spear said that if no snags develop, he'll likely offer Erickson the
job.
"I think his interest level is pretty good or he wouldn't be coming to
interview," Spear told the Spokane paper.

In a story that was posted on the Idaho Statesman's Web site on Tuesday
evening, Erickson said he will interview with the Vandals today.

So will Erickson return to Idaho -- the school where he got his first
head coaching job in 1982?

"I think there's a good chance -- this interests me," Erickson said in
the Statesman story.

Besides Erickson, Vandal assistant Jeff Mills, Montana State assistant
Mike Kramer and Arizona assistant Kasey Dunn are candidates that will be
interviewed. The job was officially vacated by Nick Holt on Monday.

The 58-year-old Erickson, who won two national titles at Miami, was most
recently the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers. He was fired
following the 2004 season.

Erickson spent the last year living in San Jose. He continues to collect
$2.5 million per year from the 49ers on the five-year, $12.5 million
contract he signed in '03.

"If I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it in the next few days,"
Erickson told the Statesman.