[Vision2020] Re: LMT reporting US losses

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 6 23:32:00 PST 2006

Sunil

When exactly did we lack access to Middle East Oil?  OPEC has only imposed
short term sanctions in the past and they were fully open for business when
we went into Iraq.  They were selling us their oil and at half the current
price for the oil and with none of the costs a military involvement entails
in either blood or lucre.

The pronciple buyers of Arab oil are Western Nations.  Thats where they have
a market for their product.  So how exactly does physical possession of the
oil fields have a benefit to us?

On the other hand, the money generated by the sale of oil to the West has
allowed Islamic and Pan-Arabist dictators to purchase large quantities of
arms and to initiate programs to gain advanced weapons systems.  That has
made the Middle East a potential zone for world conflict and highly
unstable.

The West has used that for decades as a means of paying for its oil, selling
the various dictators arms and fostering small scale wars.  That process has
kept the price of oil low, as we played one set of dictators off against
another set.

I highly recommend you read the book "The Prize" as one that covers events
and companies and governments involved in that process.

The reality is that taking the sanctions off of Iraq and simply allowing
Saddam to stay in place was more likely to produce stable and low oil
prices.  In terms of Realpolitik, that would have been the proper Imperial
response.  Its what the Brits and the French did for half a century in the
created Mandates that came out of the Ottoman Empire.

Phil Nisbet