[Vision2020] King Solomon's Cedars?

Steven Basoa sbasoa at moscow.com
Mon Feb 6 15:50:31 PST 2006

Aw, c'mon Mark, tell us your plans why don't you?  If the land
becomes a state park you're really  planning on building a
MacDonald's up there, aren't you?  And a big hotel too, right?  Man,
that Mr. G.W. Randall of Lewiston sees right through you doesn't he?
Ha!

At 10:52 AM -0800 2/6/06, Area Man wrote:
> I only reprint this because I'm pretty sure Mark doesn't want to
> develop
> his property next to a state park, and I find the insinuation kinda
> humorous.
>
> As to the age of the trees, who gives a rip?
> -------------------------------------
> Impure motives?
>
> I'm reluctant to believe that there are 1,000-year-old western red
> cedars on Moscow Mountain.
>
> Tree rings indicate how old a tree is. If there were a tree on Moscow
> Mountain that was 1,000 years old, then it should have at least 1,000
> tree rings. Now if there were a 1,000 rings, then how big of a
> diameter
> at breast height would such a tree be?
>
> Well, considering the drought summers and the cold winters, I would be
> conservative and say each ring would be about a 16th-inch thick.
>
> If that were so, then simple math says that the tree would be 62.5
> inches(or about 5.2 feet) in diameter. On the more liberal side,
> according to the National Park Service at Mount Rainer National
> Park, a
> 1,000-year-old wed cedar is about 9.55 feet in diameter. So the
> average
> would be about 7.4 feet in diameter for a 1,000-year-old western red
> cedar.
>
> In other words, if I felled a Moscow Mountain western red cedar to the
> ground and stood next to the stump end of the log, it would be over a
> foot taller than me. Really?
>
> Before Latah County commissioners go after getting King Solomon's
> cedars
> turned to gold, I suggest they take a look at what other resources are
> already in or near their county that are under state park control. ...
>
> Since most of Moscow Mountain is private property, do you suppose
> maybe
> someone sees dollar signs in developing land next to a state park?
>
> Ged W. Randall, Lewiston
> Someone else might see dollar signs, but from what I know of "King
> Solomon" (that name might stick!), I'm pretty sure he likes his quiet.
>
> Dan C

List services made available by First Step Internet, serving the
communities of the Palouse since 1994.                 http://
www.fsr.net                                mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com