[Vision2020] Picnic Apologies/Chasuk/Phil/A step back from V2020

Jim Meyer m1e2y3e4 at moscow.com
Mon Feb 6 00:25:31 PST 2006

Greetings to all:

Although I intended to go to the picnic, a celebration of a life was
decidedly more important and thus I spent the last several days in
Sandpoint. It would have been fun to meet many of you, but maybe next year.

A couple of public personal notes:

Chasuk, "ruthless self-reflection" is a rarer quality than I imagined. I
appreciate that you have the ability and I appreciate that you use it
effectively.

Phil, like almost any real life issue of any substantial nature, the
answers to the mining issue can be seen in shades of gray, not either
just black or just white. In these type of situations examples can be
found on both sides of the argument and both can be correct. I know a
heck of a lot more about clearcuts than I do about mining, but if I had
the audacity to tell you blanket statements that clearcuts are either
right or wrong, I would expect you to call me crazy.  It is the same
with the mining issue. In other words, our conversation has no end, no
answer, so it is of limited usefulness. My interest (now completely
satisfied) in the mining issue was two-fold.  One, I sincerely believe
that it is the responsibility of government to make sure that the least
among us is not abused by the rich and powerful. In this case, the least
among us are the miners. I believe our current government doesn't keep
this same value of putting people first that I do and there are strong
indicators that they don't (whether you care to look or not).Therefore
it is a moral obligation for me to speak up. Two, I am interested in how
you personally look at the issue. Perhaps I can illustrate it thus: I
was talking politics with a relative. I explained why I thought the
current deficit was a huge problem. The response was, "It wasn't Clinton
that balanced the budget, it was the Republicans in Congress." Huh? are
we even talking about the past? Are we talking about Democrats verses
Republicans? Is the situation even vaguely comparable? No on all counts,
but similarly those are the type of unrelated answers you give me about
the mining issue. So what--Molly Ivins is a partisan, I'll grant you
that--Is that what we are talking about? Or are we talking about putting
miners first and about asking some difficult questions to make sure they
are first? That is what I am talking about. So my second interest in the
mining issue is the psychology of why the real issue is so difficult for
you to address. It is just about the same question as: Why do people
vote for politicians who don't govern in that person's best interest? It
is just about the same question as: Why do people let one emotion
charged issue override all other issues? At any rate, I believe you
answered my second interest, though optimistically I would rather have
had another answer. I do not intend to research or argue or talk about
this issue again. I do thank you for having the conversation.

Lastly, and this comment is to everyone:

I believe that we, as a country, are at some serious crossroads. We
could argue about which way to turn at every minor intersection, but
doing so could leave us stranded by indecision in the middle of the
intersection with a 65000#GVW truck bearing down on us. More
productively, we could make sure that the framework for democracy still
exists so that no matter which way we turn it won't be down a dead end
or worse yet, off a cliff. To me the most pressing issues of our time
are 1) to make sure that there is at least one completely publicly
funded news media outlet that is unfettered by commercial attachments,
yet that has enough funding to do world-wide investigative reporting and
whose charter prevents politicization of the content. 2) To make sure
that our elections in our great country (it is amazing to even say
this), are truly honest, or even honest enough, to the greatest extent
possible.

I hope to be able to work on these issues as time allows. Toward that
end, I will be pretty much neglecting V2020. Feel free to contact me
directly especially if you share similar interests, otherwise I might
not catch your comments V2020.

Jim Meyer