[Vision2020] speaking of Cindy -- LMT Editorial, Feb 2

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Fri Feb 3 09:47:36 PST 2006

On 3 Feb 2006, at 07:48, Area Man wrote:

> Cindy Sheehan takes her crusade around the bend -- Jim Fisher
>
> Liberals cheered Cindy Sheehan as the heartbroken mother of a soldier
> killed in Iraq who helped alert many Americans to President Bush's
> mistaken invasion of Iraq and incompetent occupation of a chaotic
> country. It is now time for liberals to separate themselves from Cindy
> Sheehan the childish mischief-maker and crackpot confidant of dangerous
> demagogues.
>
> Sheehan sabotaged her own credibility prior to her removal by Capitol
> Police from the House chamber before she could create a scene at Bush's
> State of the Union address Tuesday evening. Her shrill protests in both
> Washington, D.C., and Crawford, Texas, are merely tiresome. But her
> recent arm-in-arm appearance with Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, and
> encouragement of his reckless rhetoric, was irresponsible.
>
> So, too, was her endorsement of singer Harry Belafonte's denunciation
> of
> Bush as the world's greatest terrorist.

Here's the thing -- I don't follow Cindy Sheehan's lead.  I oppose the
war in Iraq in my own way and for my own reasons.  I am willing to cut
her a good deal of slack because 1) she's not an experienced public
figure, and 2) she's grief-stricken.  She's paid the highest price any
parent can pay; she's lost the thing we parents most dread losing.  But
Cindy Sheehan is not my leader by any stretch of the imagination, and
to suggest that she's dragging some amorphous anti-war "us" around the
bend and down to Hugo Chavez's house is loopy.  Where will Jim Fisher
go next?  Will he suggest that Pat Robertson has dragged Evangelical
Christians around the bend by calling on President Bush to assassinate
Chavez?  There's a crazy pox on all our houses, left, right, and
center.

Ann Coulter has said and done far crazier things than Cindy Sheehan,
and she does them far more often and in/on what once were respectable
newspapers, magazines, and television shows.  Let's kick their ass and
take their gas?  Let's kill all the leaders of the Muslim world and
convert their people to Christianity?  What, apart from being a
publicity whore, is Ann Coulter's excuse?

I'm sorry for Cindy Sheehan.  I hope she gets some grief therapy.  In
the meantime, I'm more sorry that Jim Fisher has cribbed another Op-Ed
topic from Michael "Abbott" Costello.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com