[Vision2020] Reply's to trolls- Don't feed the trolls

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 2 23:54:53 PST 2006

Sunil

I was involved in a group from 1991-96 that raised funds and sent
humanitarian supplies to E Timor following the 1991 Dili massacres.  It was
right after that event that Bill Clinton jumped in and said that he would be
supportive of intervention in the area.  Several army officers in the
Indonesian military were found guilty of involvement in the slaughters of
that year, but they got a slap on the wrist and were reassigned elsewhere.

Yes the military trained the militia forces, as part of the counter
insurgency, but following Dili, the military itself was not overly involved.
  In 1993, as violent incidence increased, our contacts there noted that
cross border militia groups were pulling hit and runs and that their
motivation was driving out the Catholic Church in the region.  In 1994 we
requested action from the Clinton administration after a particularly brutal
attakc in which a Convent that was acting as a temporary refuge camp was
attacked and several thousand people were killed.  The response was that
Suharto and his military were doing all they could to keep the militias in
check and that there was no need for further US action there.  In 1995 we
asked that miliraey aid to Indonesia be halted until the Central Government
halted the attacks of the militias.  Instead of a reduction, an increase in
arms was sent to Suharto.  Nothing was done to check the Islamic militias.

The actions of 1975-1989 in which the Indonesian army killed close to
160,000 people are different than the time frame I was refering to.
Similarly, the 1998-99 run up to Independence was marked by both militia and
Army attacks in a scorched earth policy that left thousands of others dead.
But during the period 1991-1996, according to the people who used to
communicate with us, the dominate slaughter occured and it was one directed
by Islamic militias and not Indonesian Army forces.

Never has a Nobel Prize been better given than that in 1996.  The focus that
gave was what altered the course of US government policy and got both the
USA and the Aussies to take action that lead to the final Independence for
the Timorese.

Yes the Indonesian government helped set up the militias, but their
orientation was specifically radical pan-Islam.  Some of those same groups
are now active in the violence elsewhere in Indonesia that pits Moslems
against non-Moslems.  The secular government of Indonesia spawned these
groups, but they have a very different ideology.

Phil Nisbet