[Vision2020] Cindy was invited

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 2 23:01:05 PST 2006

Phil,

I'm just going to focus primarily on the First Amendment aspect of this
discussion, with the exception of the following snide comment:

At least you're not calling her a pimp.

OK, back on track.  Sheehan did not engage in any equivalent of yelling
'Fire' in a crowded theater.  She made a political statement.  She engaged
in political speech.  And state actors arrested her for it.  She has the
right to engage in that speech, and that right was violated by the state.

You don't have the right to go down to Fox Broadcasting and demand the right
to a half-hour speech against the Iraq war, which, if monkeys make a strange
and unique exit from your body, you might want to.  (Should you want to make
a half-hour speech in favor of the war, they may well grant your wish, but
that's their business.)  But should you wish to buy time to launch the
diatribe of your choice, the government will be violating your First
Amendment right should they prevent you from doing so.

It's your right not to like Sheehan or agree with her.  While I don't
concede your claim that she's anti-semitic, that's a distraction.  Even if
she were, it would not change my position that she should not have been
either ejected or arrested for engaging in free speech.

Sunil