[Vision2020] More Jim

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 2 21:50:54 PST 2006

Chas

The point is that opinion pieces are by their nature skewed and not likely
to contain a full set of facts.  I read Ivins, though I do not agree with
her slanted arguments, because I want to know how facts are being slanted.
I am more likely to read Ivins than I am to read Limbaugh.  The "Rush is
right" mentality is something that I find distasteful.  Nobody, myself
included, is right all the time and we are all prone to slanting, something
that an intellectually honest person tries to correct in themselves.

The problem is in assuming that because somebody does not accept the 'facts'
as presented in a one sided analysis they are blind and Pavlovian.  I think
we can both agree that if facts developed by non-partisan sources are
available those are most likely to be more balanced than what one would get
from partisans of either the right or the left.

Further, purely opinion pieces that use 'facts' which are no more than the
opinions of other partisans on one side of an issue are no basis for forming
independent analysis of a problem.  They are opinions, not facts.  I can
have the opinion that Standard Poodles are the best dogs in the world and
base my opinion on the fact that the Standard Poodle Breeders Association
holds the same opinion as I have to establish this as a Fact.  That would
have little or no validity, because other opinions with the same basis can
and would exist.  I need objective criteria, are the dogs in question tested
and can we relate the qualities and agree what makes a dog the best in the
world so that a true fact can be established.  Then of course we also have
to be pretty darn careful that the testing done to establish the true fact
is carried out objectively and not tampered with by partisans of one dog
breed or the other.

It is in that that my trust factor for complete partisans, the rabid pundits
who will warp any truth to make their point, disappears.  I do not trust
Molly Ivins to tell the truth.  I do not trust Rush Limbaugh to tell the
truth.  I trust them to tell only the portion of the truth that suits them
and that will support their bias.  I can try to gain balance by reading both
and coming to middle ground, or I can seek to gather independent sources and
do my own analysis.  But I would be a fool to only take one set of data fro
the most partisan sources and tell every other person that those were the
facts and nothing but the facts Mam.

Phil Nisbet