[Vision2020] Pat Kraut, area churches, and teachings abouthomosexuality

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Feb 1 16:38:13 PST 2006

Sharing, as does Joe, Phil's revulsion toward Islamic extremists -- and
violent extremists of any kind -- I'd like to add a few comments to Joe's
excellent post.

Were it not so patently manipulative and disingenuous, Christ Church's
insistence that it's being persecuted for its belief system, especially as
regards homosexuality and abortion, would be laughable.  After all, I can't
think of a single self-identified evangelical church on the Palouse that
doesn't hold to similar convictions based on their reading of Scripture, and
yet somehow they manage to preach and, more important, to live the Gospel
without skinnydipping from the deep wells of viciousness and arrogance that
the merry men of the Kirk seem to.  We Christians might debate the
Scriptures and explore together the church's and the individual believer's
mandate for conduct, but we agree that speaking truth as we see it,
especially over peripheral issues, doesn't allow for -- in fact, prohibits
-- the kind of gleeful bomb-throwing that seems to pass for public
demonstration of Biblical exegesis and Gospel preaching from Christ Church.

I told Doug Wilson once that I thought it was offensive to suggest that
public scorn towards Christ Church was somehow persecution, a badge of
Christian merit for its attendees and a crown of anti-Christian rebellion
for its detractors.  Persecution, I said, is what we can correctly call the
plight of the Sudanese evangelical, the Chinese house-church leader, and the
Guatemalan peasant who cling to Christ in the face of enormous political,
familial, social and emotional cost.  What Christ Church is experiencing is
simply a consequence of the wonderfully libertarian nature of social
discourse and civility -- that is, when you act like an ass, you will be
treated as though you did.  Further actions will confirm that one instance
of bad behavior was an anamoly or that a pattern is indeed being set.  The
marketplace of ideas, the socio-civic jury of one's peers, the town square
and the gossipy old lady next door will all eventually conclude that he who
continues to behave badly, who stokes the fires of dissent with wood, hay,
and stubble (1 Cor. 3) and who jeers at those on the outside of whatever
club he's set up or belief system he holds to will be judged accordingly,
and then either rejected, rebuked, or responded to in kind.

It's not a surprise, and it's not persecution.  If it were, then those whiny
Sudanese evangelicals and those wimpy Chinese house church leaders ought to
be silenced; truly, the center of all persecution for righteousness' sake
is to be found right here in Moscow, Idaho.  But I think not.  I think it's
just like we all learned on the playground -- treat people nicely, and
they'll treat you pretty well, tell the truth and they'll trust you, act
like a bully and you won't be invited to the birthday party -- which you
loudly proclaim to anyone who will listen is just for buttheads and dorks
anyway.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is, indeed, a fragrance to some and a stench to
others, but that refers to the convicting, humbling nature and truth of the
message and the sinless character of the Messager.  It ought never refer to
the residue left in the nostrils of believers and non-believers by those who
claim His name and think that treatises on slavery, paedobaptism, household
patriarchy and buffoonery, bullying, bigotry and boyish pranks suffice for a
witness to the Message.  And for those who cry foul at my characterization,
who insist that those things are mere trifles and not reflective of the
hearts of Kirk leadership, then I would gently, hopefully, tearfully ask
this --

How in Heaven's name would we know any better?

keely emerine mix

"It makes me so mad when