[Spam] [Vision2020] World Economics

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 1 08:48:56 PST 2006

James

I will give you the example of a plant I know.  Rock Island used to produce
Silicon Carbide and shut its doors in 1998.  We buy that material from the
Chinese now.  The job lose from closure of the plant had a drastic effect on
not only the folks there in Wenatchee, but also on the people who supplied
raw materials to their plant.

Why did it shut its doors?  Because the plant was built in the 1940.  In
order to meet new requirements for efficiency they needed to up grade the
plant and a new plant, a change in the operating conditions on their
existing permits, required just the kind of expenditure I was talking about.
  They were not a new start up, just an existing business with old plants
that needed upgrades.

And it was not simply Rock Island; the whole Northwest Silicon and Silicon
Carbide industry closed its doors.  2000 Jobs went across the great waters
to China.  Over a billion dollars in product went from being made in the USA
to being controlled by the Chinese.

Now some may argue that such industries are bad and inherently nasty and as
dead as the Dodo or buggy whips.  The trouble with such analysis is that
Silicon is the basis of computer technology and our high tech industries.
Silicon carbide is the basis of many of the innovations in materials
sciences like composite armors.  We were operating those plants in America
to supply those industries and they had not upgraded for many years.  All
plants have to eventually modify their production lines to add new
technology or become obsolete.

But changing plants requires new permits.  Hence that application of the
rule that I have previously given you.

We do not build new refining capacity here in the US, because the permits
are simply too hard to get.

We do not expand factories in the US, because the permits are too costly
here.

We do not upgrade the equipment and processes of our existing plants in the
US, because doing so will require new permits to operate, we let the plants
run until they fall apart and then close the doors.

When the cost of getting a permit is higher than the actual costs of
environmental compliance, you might think that somebody somewhere would
figure out that we just might have a problem.  As we end up with more people
working in offices filling out paperwork than in the field actually doing
environmental work, you just might want to figure that we have a problem.

Your suggestion, James, is that we seek to change the environmental
regulations in countries that the plants move to.  I am suggesting that even
with their laws a duplicate of ours; they will still hold an advantage that
relates not to environmental standards but to the permit process itself.

I know that there are cases for some industries moving to get a benefit from
pay issues, but I think that as you investigate you will find that those are
low tech and low skill, low pay jobs.  Are we that concerned about the call
centers shifting to India?  Or should we perhaps be more concerned with
losing high paying blue collar jobs?

Phil Nisbet