[Vision2020] Support Military Protestors Against the War That IMplies Winning

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Dec 31 11:19:17 PST 2006

>From the Letters section of today's (December 31, 2006) Spokesman Review -

Support military protesters

Legal opposition to the Iraq war is allowed by active duty, active reserve,
or individual ready reserve personnel, according to the Web site:

www.appealforredress.org

The rationale is that military personnel are legally allowed to communicate
with their elected representatives. Starting in late October, the following
statement has been signed by almost 1,000 military personnel. "As a
patriotic American, proud to serve the nation in uniform, I respectfully
urge my political leaders in Congress to support the prompt withdrawal of
all American military forces and bases from Iraq. Staying in Iraq will not
work and is not worth the price. It is time for U.S. troops to come home."
Very appropriate!

Signed statements are planned to be delivered to Congress in mid-January,
according to the current issue of:

www.thenation.com

It also quotes an estimate that about 1,000 troops and reservists go AWOL
each month! A dominant and increasing majority of Iraqis want the U.S. to
leave. Seemingly only Bush and Bushies believe in a military solution: the
top Pentagon military, Colin Powell, etc. are understood to say the only
viable solution is political. Our senators need your input to support
bringing our troops home.

Julian Powers
Spokane

---------------------

'War' implies winning

It is this use and overuse of the term war that is the problem. We must stop
using it so idly. I mean there is this war on terrorism, war on Iraq, war on
poverty, on drugs, on ignorance; frankly we will never win any of them. They
are not winnable. The war on Vietnam was not winnable. If a war cannot be
won it should be called something else; stupid, possibly. World War I and II
were wars.

A war is so terrible it cannot be lost. In a war that cannot be lost the
whole country is mobilized, everything is put on the line, everything is
taxed, everyone fights and no one makes an unfair profit from it. If we are
unwilling to commit everything, it is not a war. A war should not be so easy
to get into either. Lies and warmongering should not be enough.

We should learn something from this waste in Iraq. For that matter, we
should learn something from the Chinese. They know about winning. It is time
to go home, George. Ask Rove to throw a spin on it, say we won, declare
victory and start packing.

Edward L. Parker
Spokane

Pro patria,

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

--Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.