[Vision2020] Give Devoted Military a Worthwhile War to Fight

Tony tonytime at clearwire.net
Thu Dec 28 11:10:54 PST 2006

Keely, although the relationship to Tom of said brother is not pertinent to
the point I made, still it was an oversight and I apologize for it.

My comment about Tom's defeatism was in reference to his conviction that we
cannot win in Iraq.  It was accurate based on his ongoing opposition to the
mission our troops overwhelmingly support.  You advise me that Tom deserves
gratitude for having served.  I have never challenged that assertion - I've
in fact commended him for his service, but that does not mean he is
necessarily any more astute than the bulk of his fellow vets who disagree
with his far left politics.  We all have experience and perspective and an
equal right to freedom of expression.  Of course simply having lived through
a certain situation does not guarantee one will reach a logical and just
conclusion as to its resolution - that relies more on an ability to
recognize and consider subtle distinctions, rather than first hand
experience alone.

You insist that Cheney's change of mind on Iraq indicates a change in the
neocon mind.  You fail entirely to address the possibility that the world
geopolitical landscape can change dramatically over the course of the 14
years between Cheney's statement and our invasion.  Those who are friendly
one decade may become a threat later, those who are a threat now may become
an asset under certain circumstances later.  It is unfair for you to apply a
statement made by Cheney 14 years ago regarding a certain regime, to a
situation faced today.

Happy New Year.              -T