[Vision2020] Singer James Brown Dies

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 25 01:48:17 PST 2006

ATLANTA (Reuters) - Singer        James Brown, the self-proclaimed
"Godfather of Soul," who billed himself as the hardest working man in show
business, has died at age 73, CNN reported on Monday.

Brown had been admitted to Emory Crawford Long Hospital in Atlanta over the
weekend for treatment of severe pneumonia, his agent, Super Frank, told CNN.

The singer, also known as "Mr Dynamite" is credited with bringing the word
"funk" into mainstream musical vernacular and influencing a new generation
of black music that spawned rap and hip-hop.

Brown's hit "Say it Loud (I'm Black and I'm Proud)" became a civil rights
anthem during the turbulent 1960s and he performed the song at
Richard Nixon's inaugural in 1968 -- an act that temporarily hurt his
popularity among young blacks.

He had more than 119 charting singles and recorded over 50 albums, was
inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame and received a lifetime
achievement award from the        Grammys in 1992.

J  :]