[Vision2020] School Board gives nod to March levy; Voters will determine fat

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Dec 20 18:05:33 PST 2006

Ooooh, ooohh -- I know this one!

Post Falls is one of a handful of districts statewide experiencing
phenomenal growth.  And the administration of public schools, particularly
in light of the confusion and occasional chaos surrounding No Child Left
Behind and various other changes in requirements, is vital to keep schools
doing what the State and the Feds say they need to do in areas of
curriculum, standards, assessment, reporting, special ed services,
nutrition, etc.  There are very real penalties for getting this stuff wrong
-- and private schools like Logos aren't held to the requirements, with the
dollars and other strings attached, that MSD is.  Beyond that, MSD voters
have approved previous levies for things like smaller class sizes, which are
considered to be beneficial to children.  It hardly seems fair to penalize
them for that.

Private schools could spend $47.35 per student per year and teach whatever
they want, as long as their constituent marketplace foots the bill; public
schools have very little freedom in choosing what to teach.  Private schools
can choose to accept only higher-achieving kids, as long as they don't
discriminate against protected classes; public schools accept all children
and willingly do whatever they can to educate them.  Private schools can
operate with significant, near-seamless autonomy; public schools are subject
to tremendous control from stakeholders and the government.  Last, private
schools have the luxury of answering only to their constituent families and
choosing to not work with families they deem not sufficiently committed to
the particular vision of the school; public schools can't "opt out" of
things that draw criticism when those things are mandates, and they can't
dismiss children or their parents if they get troublesome.

Here's another way to put it:  there's no "bozo filter" operating in the
schools.

I don't intend to spend another winter and spring defending MSD, as I did
two years ago -- but I will continue to argue that public schools are an
inherent good in society, and all of us in Moscow have particular reason to
be enthusiastic in supporting them, because we have a school district that
stands head-and-shoulders above so many others.

keely

Please vote to support the levy increase --