[Vision2020] Jesus and imprecatory prayer, as if it mattered

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Fri Dec 15 21:39:58 PST 2006

The Kirk and its defenders continues to engage in, defend, and urge
imprecatory prayer against its "enemies," assuring us that the failure to
pray in such a manner is responsible for some of the weakness of the modern
church.

As opposed to someone who had significant influence on the development, some
guy named Jesus of Nazareth, the Christ:

"Lord, do you want us to call fire down from heaven to destroy them?"  But
Jesus turned and rebuked them . . . "  Luke 9:54

"Lord, should we strike with our swords?"  And one of them struck the
servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear,  But Jesus answered,
"No more of this!"  And he touched the man's ear and healed him.  Luke
22:49-51

"Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."  Luke
23:34

(Note:  Any bets on how long before the Princess or my off-list critic
points out in a withering display of sophistry that they've not actually
SAID the words "Call fire down," or that no Kirker has ever cut off a guy's
ear with a sword?  Duly noted.  Not relevant.  Let's continue . . . )

I am sick to death of Christ Church and its leaders and defenders pointing
out the example of everybody in Scripture, under ever possible circumstance,
to hold to the right and necessity of imprecatory prayer.  They seem to not
remember that they are Christ-ians; that is, that the example of Jesus, God
revealed in the flesh (and that is what we believe), is our Lord, Savior,
example and guide.

An article on how the toxins of patriarchy, neo-confederacy,
Reconstructionism and right-wing politics have combined to foul the public
witness of some expressions of Christianity can be found in the current
issue of Harper's.  It's titled "God BLESSED America."

I am not ashamed of Jesus Christ nor his Gospel.  I am, however, both
ashamed of these people and fearful of the soul-hardening effect of their
beliefs and conduct.  It's quite a read, and I think it illustrates that
militaristic, peace-breaking practices like imprecatory prayer are often
bound up in even more dangerous practices.  I recommend good wine, a few
tissues, and a heart ready to be angered.

keely