[Vision2020] Strangers On a Busy Street

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Dec 15 16:30:52 PST 2006

>From "The Slice" column in today's (December 15, 2006) Spokesman Review -

Strangers on a busy street: "I drove up behind a vehicle that had a military
medal emblem in the back window," wrote Spokane soap maker Sandy Tarbox. "I
recognized it as the Combat Infantry Badge because that was the one medal my
WWII dad was most proud of.

"When I pulled up left of that car into a turn lane I made eye contact with
the driver, an older man. And thinking of my dad, I saluted him."

As traffic crept forward at a light, Tarbox moved up and she is sure the
fellow had an opportunity to check out the anti-war stickers on the back of
her car.

He pulled up next to her before she turned. "We made eye contact again," she
wrote. "And he flashed me a peace sign."

Seya round town, Moscow.

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

--Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.