[Vision2020] Latah Health Services sale to Gritman--a question

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Thu Dec 14 10:27:13 PST 2006

Yes, it sucks that LHS is shutting down, but the board is not booting
everyone out into the proverbial snowdrift.  Assurances have been made
that all residents will have a safe place before the building is closed,
as reported in Monday's Lewiston Morning Tribune.

Illegal actions?  I'm not so sure about that.  Both the LHS Board and
the Latah County Commissioners did all they could to try and keep the
place running.  I recall when the LHS Board tried to float a bond to
upgrade the LHS building, but some of the comments were to the effect
that "why should I suppport this bond when there are other facilities in
town who offer the same services who do not receive tax support".  Seems
pretty cold and callous to me.  Now, some of those same voices are
coming out protesting the closing of Latah Health Services.  We can't
have it both ways, people.  It's just like everything else in this town:
Something is up for final approval, then all the sudden people come out
of the woodwork and say "We had no say in this!" when the item has been
up for discussion for MONTHS in advance.  Of course, this has gotten
better of late, but, like LHS Board Chairman Greg Mann said in Monday's
article, the closing of LHS has been coming down the pike for quite a
while.

I sincerely hope that if the Gritman deal goes through the building will
continue to be used in a manner accordant with the needs of the
community.

DC