[Vision2020] Latah Health Services sale to Gritman--a question

Jim Meyer m1e2y3e4 at moscow.com
Thu Dec 14 07:57:45 PST 2006

 Tom,
Please call me Jim.

The County Commissioners have responsibility for any people who remain.
I agree with you that by some mechanism those people should be cared
for. I suggest that if there are any unplaced or marginally placed
people that are left, that the commissioners take responsibility for
their previous neglect and even go so far as to rent a block of rooms in
a local motel for up to a year and hire a provider to live there with
them if necessary. The problem was their fault, caused by their neglect.
They and Latah county need to take responsibility. However--someone
correct me if I am wrong-- I hear that everyone has been placed.

If a vote to sell is going to be successful then it is better to ask my
question now, rather than later. It is a question the voters will ask.
Not to mention that it is probably illegal to give away public resources
for private gain without sufficient guarantees.

Jim

Mr. Meyer -

My primary concern right now today (December 14, 2006) has nothing to do
with who is going to profit from contract negotiations five or ten years
down the road.

My concern, and sense of community, is focused on twenty-six
elderly/infirmed residents who are likely to welcome the new year (18 days
from now) in a most uncomfortable fashion, homeless.

There must be some option available that allows for a temporary (one year)
extension so that this problem may be rectified over the period of that
extension.

Profit BE DAMNED.  I guarantee you if I had a relative housed at Latah
Health Services on December 31, my name would appear on the Moscow Police
blotter the next morning.

Come on, people.  For once, let's show some compassion and not be so
concerned about the financial bottom line.  Time is running out.