[Vision2020] whistleblower

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Wed Dec 13 14:43:43 PST 2006

Thanks Nick for your post and involvement.

It looks like the same old story of flaunting the rules. The University does a good job of writing up rules and regulations and then ignoring them. The Ombudsman is window dressing only. They do not follow up on complaints. One staff person I know had trouble with his PI and was constantly belittled by him. This staff person had several meeting with the Ombudsman. He was finally told that maybe he should look for a job in another department.  This professor who has sence left was very unethical. He on several occasions removed other peoples names on equipment( such as lab carts ) and put on his own name.
In an other case an Assistant Manager reported two Professors who wee not following the rules and protocols on an experiment. When the job as manager came up, he was told that they would not hire hime because he had reported the two professors and that they wanted someone who worked well with everyone. They wanted him to train the new manager. Instead he quit. He finished his Phd and is now working in Southern Idaho. The funny thing is ,this individual is very congenial and easy going, but thinks the rules should be followed. Rules and regulations look fine on the books for window dressing, but are of no practical value if the are ignored.
I would like to see a Panel of last resorts set up state wide, where a person can go to appeal a grievance. This panel should be independent and not tied to or paid by the party the grievance is against. People like the Ombudsman are paid by the UI and do their bidding. The panel should be appointed by the governor or AG. A place to go to lodge a grievance is necessary because most people do not have the money to go to court, which the Ui knows full well. I am working on writing this up as a bill to submit to the legislature. Any suggestions  would be appreciated.

Roger