[Vision2020] Smith, Kramer Gain Support at UI

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Dec 12 06:56:14 PST 2006

>From today's (December 12, 2006) Spokesman Review -

"Erickson's departure might continue to influence Idaho's search, too. Smith
apparently has an opportunity to join Erickson as ASU's defensive
coordinator."

Smith, Kramer gain support at UI
Spear moving quickly to hire football coach

Jim Meehan
Staff writer
December 12, 2006

John L. Smith just received an offer on his house in Michigan.

Where you headed next, John L.?

"That all depends," Smith said, laughing, over the telephone.

The University of Idaho might be one possible destination. Smith visited
with Idaho athletic director Rob Spear by phone Monday as the Vandals'
search for a new football coach heated up.

"It's definitely something we'd like to consider," said Smith, who was 53-21
as Idaho's coach from 1989-94. "Obviously, we have an interest and (wife)
Diana and I have sat down and talked about it and we'll have to talk some
more."

Idaho is talking with a number of candidates, but Smith and Montana State
coach Mike Kramer seem to be at the forefront of the search to replace
Dennis Erickson, who bolted for Arizona State University after 10 months in
Moscow. Kramer and Smith are expected to interview by telephone with Spear
and Idaho's search committee today.

Erickson's departure might continue to influence Idaho's search, too. Smith
apparently has an opportunity to join Erickson as ASU's defensive
coordinator.

Spear said he planned to narrow his list to two or three by Monday night and
"proceed quickly after that."

Smith's teams at Idaho won two Big Sky Conference titles and he was popular
with Vandals boosters. He owns property in Sandpoint, where he plans on
retiring. Yet it is those very things that concern a large portion of
Vandals fans that see similarities to Erickson's resume. Erickson was 32-15
at Idaho from 1982-85 and he plans to retire on Lake Coeur d'Alene, but he
left Idaho after just one season.

"The only thing I can state is this: Di and I, if we look at this job, we've
talked about it and we have to be prepared that this is our last job," said
Smith, who coached at Utah State, Louisville and Michigan State after
leaving Idaho. He was fired in November with three games left in his fourth
season at Michigan State.

Erickson's buyout was $150,000, a figure that will be higher for Idaho's
next coach.

"There are no guarantees in life, but contractually we'll make sure there's
a significant buyout in the (next) contract," Spear said.

Kramer, a Colton, Wash., native and former lineman at Idaho, is receiving
considerable support. He has a 40-43 record (29-22 in the Big Sky) in seven
seasons at Montana State and the Bobcats have won or shared three conference
titles. The Bobcats on Nov. 25 celebrated their first I-AA playoff win in 22
years.

Kramer was 37-32 at Eastern Washington from 1994-99, winning the Big Sky
title in 1997 and advancing to the I-AA semifinals.

"I've been coaching 30 years. I've worked at four places," Kramer said, "so
I'm not exactly a mover."

Kramer, 52, said he's "not scared off" by some of the sizable obstacles
Idaho's program faces.

"Where Idaho wants to go, I think it's doable," he said. "As we've proven
here, it's doable."

Other names that have been mentioned include Montana's Bobby Hauck, San
Diego's Jim Harbaugh and ex-Arizona State coach Dirk Koetter. Those would
appear to be long shots. Harbaugh apparently is on Stanford's list. Koetter
didn't return a phone message.

Smith, 58, is looking forward to more discussions.

"The biggest thing in this whole process, like I told him, is I think Idaho
is going in the right direction, it just needs somebody to keep it going,"
Smith said. "A lot of people are going to push for me supposedly, but Rob
has to get to know me a little bit to make sure I'm the guy he wants and not
the guy that others want."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Take care, Vandals.

Tom Hansen
Vandalville, Idaho
UI '96

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3