[Vision2020] UI's mold problem

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 12 01:24:03 PST 2006

Penny,

  That was my understanding of what Mr. Griffel told me as I worked with over a couple of years. He is head of student housing and a good guy. There is unfortunately not enough money allocated by UI for quality affordable family housing. I do not know what the short term plan is for family housing.

  My dealings with health and safety professionals in Moscow and the UI led me to understand that you cannot clean up the mold without ripping out all the drywall, tiling, and insulation. Maybe they are planning to do that, but it is an expensive endeavor for shotty buildings that are on the slate to be torn down when possible. The only reason they have not ripped them down so far is because of the lack of available affortable family housing in the area, especially since the flooding a few years ago wiped out the units across from where the Student Recreation Building is now.

  I believe UI was looking to hook up with a private contractor to build affordable family housing for UI students, however, no takers on such a low profit endeavor.

  Thanks for raising this issue. It was a big issue for me several years when I was active at UI.

  UI, IMHO, is doing the right thing by not leasing those buildings out this coming year when there are safety issues standing out there and children inhabiting those structures.

  Best,

  Donovan J Arnold

Pennsylvania Place <penn_place_boise at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Donovan - Thanks for the update, and thank goodness for inside information. Without it, we'd never know what's going on at the UI, since their press releases are fluff pieces and the D-N never asks the hard questions.

Penny

Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:     Penny,

  They are going to rip down those buildings. They were planning to expand the Music Building, but really, that land is only suitable for parking and parks, not buildings.

  Best,

  Donovan J Arnold

Pennsylvania Place <penn_place_boise at yahoo.com> wrote:
  So, anyone care to speculate what the UI intends to do about the mold problem at family housing? Will they raze the buildings and start anew? Slap some paint on and let more people get sick?

This seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen - I have on good authority that there are children who have been made ill by this problem, and the UI Residences have known about the problem for years without making any significant steps to fix the problem.

Perhaps if the UI were more concerned with making family housing a decent and healthy place to live, rather than spending their time promoting the free internet and cable TV, they wouldn't be in this mess.

What a disaster. What a wonderful week for the UI! I guess UI Residences is lucky the Erickson blowup will likely keep the mold problem off the headlines.

Penny

  Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.=======================================================
List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com