[Vision2020] UI to close residences

Pennsylvania Place penn_place_boise at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 10 22:44:44 PST 2006

I like how the press release neglects to mention that the reason the UI is closing these apartments is not because of the kindness of their hearts in wanting to update these residences, but because the residents therein are all suffering from the horrible MOLD INFESTATION that the UI has allowed to fester in these poorly made cheap apartments for years.

The best way to rehabilitate these units would be to tear them down and start over, using a design that includes more than two windows for a two-story townhouse. The UI should look at the beautiful new BRICK apartments at BSU and Gonzaga for inspiration.

Penny

            Five University Apartments to Close

Dec. 8, 2006

MOSCOW, Idaho – University of Idaho Residences will close five buildings in the South Hill apartment community to assess the state of the buildings. Residents currently living in the designated buildings have until June 25, 2007, to move to alternative apartments in the South Hill and South Hill Vista apartment communities or find alternate housing.

“Our residents always are our first concern,” said Michael Griffel, director of University Residences. “We want the apartments we offer to be high quality and desirable. It is our goal to make our strongest buildings available to our students, and to take off-line those that are older and not in strong condition.”

University Residences will be providing a moving van and driver to help residents move, as well as allowing for five moving days instead of the normal three-day moving period. The six-month timeframe for the move was planned to provide residents time to tour other apartments and plan their move. There are 17 occupied apartments in the five buildings scheduled to close on June 30, 2007.

The apartments that will be closed are: 1006 Deakin St.; 1010 Deakin St.; 464 Taylor Ave.; 518 Taylor Ave.; and 425 Sweet Ave.

University Residences met with affected residents on Thursday, Dec. 7 to provide details and answer questions.

Contact: Leah Andrews, University Residences, (208) 885-7883, leah at uidaho.edu

http://mail.yahoo.com