[Vision2020] Your Baptism "i Faderens og Sønne ns og den Helligaands Navn"

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Fri Dec 8 22:34:30 PST 2006

>Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 10:36:35 -0800
>To: Andreas Schou <ophite at gmail.com>
>From: Nick Gier <ngier at uidaho.edu>
>Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Your Baptism "i Faderens og Sønne ns og den
>Helligaands Navn"
>
>Greetings:
>
>Since a native son Andreas has thrown the first stone at the alleged
>beauty of the Danish language, I will now cast my stone. Because of my
>knowledge of German, I was reading Danish in three months, but I am still
>struggling with the pronunciation after 40 years.  Even Danes say that
>Danish sounds as if someone is speaking with a mouth full of potatoes.
>
>I now wish I had married a Norwegian or Swede so that I would have had a
>chance to speak a really beautiful Scandinavian language.
>
>Thanks to Ralph for the best belly laugh on the Vision in a great
>while.  I thought Kirkers were supposed to be kings of humor, but
>heirdoug, incredibly enough, wanted a biblical reference for baptism
>"wearing off." That, as my mom always said, "takes the cake" for obtuseness!
>
>Nick Gier

"Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to human
affairs."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Abstract truth has no value unless it incarnates in human beings who
represent it, by proving their readiness to die for it."
  --Mohandas Gandhi

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of any system cannot be
discovered by dividing it into its component parts and studying each part
by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed on the whole and on the
interconnection between the parts. The same is true of our intellectual
life. It is impossible to make a clear cut between science, religion, and
art. The whole is never equal simply to the sum of its various parts."
--Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/home.htm
208-882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/ift.htm