[Vision2020] Validity of Baptisms

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Thu Dec 7 17:26:46 PST 2006

I'd like to join in as someone who was baptized when just a few months old
in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit -- and who regards
that as one of many experiences in my life that was far more meaningful to
those around me than to me, that contributed nothing to my salvation, and
that was and continues to be the provence of those who, with varying degrees
of sincerity, have an understanding of Scripture that is at variance with
what I understand to be the majority of historical, orthodox (lower-case
"o"), Biblical Christianity.

On the other hand, my baptism in 1981, when I was 20, was entirely
meaningful to me, because it was my volitional response to the teachings of
Jesus, and offered what it I believe God intends that it offer:  a visible
manifestation of my new birth in Christ Jesus.  Besides water, the only
other thing each had in common was that they were non-saving; they neither
contributed to or confirmed my salvation, by which I mean eternal life in
Christ Jesus by grace through faith.  Even those paedobaptists of the
Lutheran tradition don't believe that baptism itself saves, and yet it
appears that Doug Wilson is leaning heavily in that direction, in opposition
to the evangelical heritage he comes from.

And why should anyone care?

Because all theology has effects, negative and positive, on the adherent's
conduct.  I agree with Nick that some element of control over women and
children may well be present in the propagation of paedobaptism on the
Palouse.  More troubling, however, is its necessary link to Calvinism, which
I have argued here and elsewhere is, as defined by Calvinists, a "hard"
Calvinism and not the so-called "soft" Calvinism that sounds commonly
evangelical.

A primary teaching of Calvinism is that the atonement of Christ was limited
in its effect and intention -- that Christ died only for those He wanted to,
those He had predestined on no other basis other than the "good pleasure" of
the Father, who delights, they say, in saving some and dangling and then
dropping others over the pit of Hell for the sheer joy he gets in their
destruction.  Less disturbing but equally at odds with Scripture is the
Calvinistic assertion that no decision for Christ or against Christ is
necessary to enter into saving fellowship with Him; indeed, the entire point
of Calvinism is that the object of salvation or damnation is utterly unable
to effect even the most rudimentary decision in his or her eternal destiny
-- no volition needed, or even possible.  The argument in Christiandom isn't
if there is or isn't "predestination;" no student of the New Testament
seriously questions that there is.  But the question is "predestination on
what terms?", and from the first days of New Testament Christianity, and as
foreseen in the Old,  the understanding is that individual, volitional faith
-- not works, not baptism, not "covenant family" membership, not anything
else -- is what is credited to the believer as righteousness.

Why this matters to anyone other than theology geeks like myself is this:
if no one can come to Christ because, for example, they see something in the
behavior of Christian believers that they find appealing, and if no one can
be prevented from coming to Christ, if that's God's desire, no matter how
nasty and appalling the believers act, then both the Body corporate and the
individual Christian have no real need to engage in the kind of behavior
that would make Christ and Christianity appealing.  Why bother?  If God
wants someone to be saved, He'll "flip the switch," so to speak, and if He
thinks it would be neat to create them just as eternally suffering Presto
Logs for Gehenna, then He'll make sure the switch is never flipped.  Nothing
I do, the Calvinists say, will ever minister to anyone in a way that will
make them consider the claims of Christ and then respond, personally and
intentionally, to Him.  Being nice is all well and good, evidently, but it's
not necessary to be kind and decent in order to further the Gospel.  And,
the more Reconstructionist-oriented among the Calvinists believe, being nice
might even be an impediment to taking dominion over the culture.  All in
all, it seems, the conduct and character of the Christian is a means toward
an end that doesn't add to the number of those reconciled to God in Christ,
but certainly strengthens the Church's hold on the culture -- with all of
its unfortunate, helpless, insignificant and expendable "unchosen."

It makes sense, as I've said before, why Princess Sushitushi, Doug Farris,
Dale Courtney, Doug Wilson, Doug Jones, and other Recons/Calvinists often
shower those on the other side with sheer, naked contempt, and it would
explain, I believe, why Doug Farris continually harps on Nick Gier about his
"failure" to hold to his infant baptism.  Rude behavior that polite secular
society would condemn is the kind of behavior that seems to have no
consequence to those "chosen" in our midst who certainly aren't about to
out-care God when it comes to the lives and souls of those they deem to be
lost.  It's more than bad theology, much more significant than just bad
behavior, and more tragic than I have words to convey.

(I would recommend an excellent primer on Calvinism, "The Five Points of
Calvinism:  Weighed and Found Wanting," by George Bryson.  And get this!
Bryson's scholarship is applauded by none other than our own Doug Wilson,
who says in a review of the book "(Bryson) is able to describe the doctrinal
position of Calvinism without putting any extra eggs in the pudding.  His
descriptions are fair and accurate, and he clearly knows his subject . . . "
  Wilson indicates some concern with the second part of the book -- Bryson's
refutation of Calvinism -- but the back cover of Bryson's book has Wilson's
endorsement of the scholarship in its first half.)

keely

(Much of this i