[Vision2020] Out of His/Her mouth come blessings and curses!

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Tue Dec 5 23:02:26 PST 2006

Doug, you certainly have a peculiar way of reading the Bible. Yahweh
(the LORD) God did not "forgive" David's sin of adultery and murder.
He made David's newborn baby pay for it.

The prophet Nathan said, "Yahweh has remitted your sin; you shall not
die. However, because you have utterly scorned Yahweh, even the child
about to be born to you shall die."

Then we read, "Yahweh afflicted the child that Uriah's wife had borne
to David, and it became critically ill. ... On the seventh day the
child died." (2 Samuel 12:13-14, 15b, 18).

The sin of adultery and murder demanded the punishment of death. So
why did Yahweh God kill the innocent baby instead of its guilty
father? Because he had already promised to do exactly that. See the
so-called Ten Commandments, 1st edition, "I, Yahweh your God, am an
impassioned God, visiting the guilt of the parents upon the
children... (Exodus 20:5). See also the Ten Commandments, 2nd
edition, Exodus 34:7).

Neither was David "set free from the bondage of Sin and Death." After
hearing that the child was dead, David mourned, "Can I bring him back
again? I shall go to him, but he shall never come back to me" (1
Samuel 12:21). Eventually David will die too, and go down to Sheol to
join his dead son. This is not a reference to heaven, where only
Yahweh and his heavenly household reside. We all go down to the same
place, Sheol, regardless of whether we have been righteous or not.
"All go to one place; all are from the dust, and all turn to dust
again" (Ecclesiastes 3:20).

Some day we, too, will turn to dust again, Doug. Doesn't the
knowledge of that humble you?

Ralph

[Vision2020] Out of His/Her mouth come blessings and curses!

heirdoug at netscape.net heirdoug at netscape.net
Tue Dec 5 17:14:21 PST 2006

Yes Artie, he did.

But, God forgave him after he repented of his sin against God and
against his soldier. He also lost a child as a result of his sin. That
is why I choose to identify with David. He was a guy that truly loved
the Lord. And the living God truly loved him.

Yes Artie, we are all just sinners set free from the bondage of Sin and
Death. You should be so fortunate to have this wonderful freedom in
your life!