[Vision2020] POW/MIA Accountability

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Dec 5 11:48:34 PST 2006

Greetings Visionaires -

Copied and pasted below is an email (with attachments) concerning a POW/MIA
that has not been accounted for.  I have sent this email to:

Representative-elect Bill Sali
bill at billsali.com

Governor-elect "Butch" Otter
http://otter.house.gov/contact_information.aspx

Senator Larry Craig
http://craig.senate.gov/webform.cfm

Senator Mike Crapo
http://crapo.senate.gov/contact/email.cfm

Representative Mike Simpson
http://www.house.gov/simpson/emailme.shtml

This inquiry is the first in what I promise to be several submissions in
seeking accountability from our elected officials concerning a topic that is
far too often swept under the rug: Unaccounted for POWs/MIAs.

In order to draw more immediate and impacting attention I have restricted my
focus (for the time being) to only those unaccounted for POWs/MIAs whose
home state is Idaho.

First up:  Staff Sergeant William B. Hunt (Sandpoint, Idaho)

Subject:  POW/MIA Accountability (SSG William B. Hunt)

Dear ,

What is being done to determine the fate of Staff Sergeant William B. Hunt -
US Army, who was last seen wounded awaiting medevac at a landing zone
northeast of Soui Da, 10 miles from Dau Tieng on November 4, 1966?  No
remains were ever found although there was an intensive search of the area
later on.

Although assumed to have been killed in action, Staff Sergeant William B.
Hunt's name appeared on a list of POWs included in an extensively detailed
report of a POW camp located near Hue, South Vietnam provided by a defector
in 1985.  Although the report has been substantiated by returned POWs who
were held there, the U.S. Defense Department has declared that the defector
is a liar, and has discounted his report.

Attached as enclosure is a detailed account of Staff Sergeant Hunt's
activities on November 4, 1966, prior to his disappearance.

Please advise me of any action that is being taken by you or any other
elected or appointed official to determine his fate.

In the event there is nothing being done, please explain why not, and tell
me how you, personally, plan to correct this and prevent it from ever
happening again.

Sincerely,

Thomas P. Hansen
Moscow, Idaho
US Army (Retired)

I STRONGLY encourage that each of us adopt an unaacounted for POW/MIA at:

"Operation Just Cause"
http://www.ojc.org

And that we DEMAND accountability from our elected officials.

Pro patria,