[Vision2020] St. John Wenders

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Mon Dec 4 20:33:03 PST 2006

Gary, Matt and Visionaires,

I worked with Jack Wenders for almost 20 years (both of us colleagues
in the UI College of Business and Economics - Jack was an economics
prof and I am prof in accounting).

Jack was an excellent academic reseacher - his work in the public
utility industry earned very high marks and his work in unraveling
the tyranny of government subsidies was highly regarded in the econ literature.

Jack was one of those engaged academics to take on the real world -
his efforts to explore the sugar beet subsidy in Idaho raised a lot
of eyebrows and drew the ire of many in Southern Idaho.  To his
credit, President Richard Gibb defended Jack's research in the face
of significant political pressure to fire Jack for his research.

Oddly enough, Jack and I did not agree on all that many things but I
always enjoyed sparring with Jack.  He was a ferocious advocate for
his economic principles and their application in the market
place.  Jack always brought his "A" game - if you wanted to debate
with Jack you had better come prepared.  He would give you his best
and he would expect the best from you.

Before Jack retired, I recall, quite fondly - a few interesting
"debates" with him on the need for (or not) accountants and the
accounting profession.  I am sure you can "sort out the sides" on that one.

He also had a very unusual talent - through his sharp wit and
cutting, almost acrimonious, dialogue Jack could get his critics and
opponents to reveal their intellectual shortcomings, their character
flaws and their shallow depth of understanding - on just about
anything.  Once his critic or opponent "lost their grip, lost their
perspective and lost their ability to reason", Jack would look around
the room to search for eye contact with those observing - the twinkle
in his eye said it all.

He truly enjoyed getting people to think about what they would say
before they actually said it - mostly though he wanted people to think.

I heard from Jack on just a few occasions since he retired - he would
send a note to acknowledge or admonish a position I had espoused on
this forum.  I know from some of his closer friends that he was able
to spend a lot of time hunting and roaming the backcountry.  This was
a passion for him and I am confident it brought him the enjoyment he sought.

Thanks Jack - you were one of a kind.  You never minced your words -
you spoke straight and always shot from the hip.

I also think you died with a twinkle in your eye - happy hunting!