[Vision2020] On being a Christian Libertarian

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Mon Dec 4 10:11:44 PST 2006

Greetings:

How is it that a person who rejects the term "libertarian" walks and talks like one and also quotes from libertarian writers?  As they say, "If the shoe fits, wear it," but if you are a Calvinist, you will have to check the law of contradiction at the door.  Read about basic inconsistencies in the Christian libertarian position at http://users.adelphia.net/nickgier/libchristian.htm.

J. I.  Packer, a conservative evangelical, has this to say on this topic: "Freedom is found only in subjection to God and His truth; and the more subject, the more free.  This is the biblical paradox of Christian liberty.  Man becomes free only in bondservice to Jesus Christ."  Isn't bondservice another word for slavery?  The true libertarian refuses to be a slave to anyone, even God.

I find it very interesting that the libertarians at Christ Church would love to have their Christian government control the moral lives of everyone under its control, and only propertied males would have a vote on who gets to control whom.

By the way, if people feel that they are slaves by being oppressed by government, they can vote libertarian.  The Libertarian Party runs candidates in all U. S. states. Slaves always choose their freedom, but most reasonable people around the world recognize the advantage of government roads, services, and regulation of a  sometimes irrationally exuberance free market.  For example, the collapse of the wild housing market will most likely lead the Bush economy into recession by the end of next year, making it even harder for a Republican to win in 2008.

Nick Gier