[Vision2020] Costco Preferred Over Wal-Mart

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 20:09:56 PDT 2006

On 8/30/06, g. crabtree <jampot at adelphia.net> wrote:
> I  have admitted in the past that Jeff is a far smarter and better looking
> fellow then myself and I still hold firmly to that position. Perhaps he will
> chime in and fill me in on what your post has to do with the price of goose
> liver in Moscow. If I'm reading you correctly it would seem that you're
> saying that there are workers who are so destitute and dull that they can't
> weigh risk and opportunity to advance in the workplace and that because of
> this they are at the mercy of their current employer.

Gary? I'm not saying that they can't weigh the risks versus the
rewards. I'm saying that they *do*, and when they do, the answer comes
up "don't leave your job." The potential for increased earning power
and nominal financial stability are not worth the risk of
homelessness, hunger, and -- for people who have serious medical
conditions -- potential death. I'm not saying that when you're in
working poverty and make that decision, you *automatically* risk utter
destitution -- but the chance exists.

When you change jobs, these are not things you or I have to worry
about. I can pick up and move with my skill set and remain relatively
assured that, even if my new job falls through, my life will be only a
little more than moderately inconvenienced. Hell, even if things go
totally to hell, I can continue to write you e-mails from the comfort
of my mother's basement.

> If I've got this
> right, (hard to believe) let me offer up a tip to all these poor benighted
> souls. If your working at some demeaning, going nowhere job at minimum wage
> or less and are receiving no benefits, take a step in the right (upward)
> direction and sign on at Wally World. You'll probably be glad ya did.

There are jobs that are worse than Wal-Mart. This area has a surplus
of them. It's not that I'm not concerned with them, it's just that
that tilting at every last windmill is perfectly pointless.

-- ACS