[Vision2020] Global Warming, methane, politics

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 13:50:25 PDT 2006

Jim et. al.

I was afraid my comments on the atmospheric lifespan of methane might be
misinterpreted as minimizing the methane and methane hydrate release threat
to global climate...

While methane does have a 10-12 year lifespan in the atmosphere before
dissipating, the amount of methane that could potentially be released from
human sourced global warming is very large when considering methane is
measured in the atmosphere at parts per billion, and methane is a very
powerful greenhouse gas, about 20 times more powerful than CO2.  The methane
releases that could be triggered by the processes outlined in the articles
Jim Meyer posted to Vision2020 could be ongoing for decades and decades, so
though the earlier releases of methane will dissipate quickly compared to
how long CO2 stays in the atmosphere (100 years or more), continuing
releases of methane will continue the warming process, leading to a
potential "run away" global warming effect.

Ted Moffett